Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Foreshadowing

Anyone remember those fortune tellers we used to make as kids? You would fold up a piece of paper just so and then label different sections with numbers and colors. On the inside flaps where fortunes that you would come to depending on what number and color you chose.

My life is like one of those things lately. I have choices I need to make, the unexpected is being revealed, and everything is unfolding.

I feel there is a strong connection between a dream I had and the day that was carried out from it.

I went to my Mom's (which is also our Grandma's house) to help her clean out a spare room that my little one and I will be staying in for a while. One entire wall of the room is covered in lattice with old frames and family photos hanging from it. We took each one down with care, reminiscing about our family. There we were, sharing memories while creating one.

My Mom is in a bit of a rush to complete some tasks around the house before our Grandma (I am always referring to my great Grandma unless I say otherwise) returns home from the rehabilitation center. Also, our lease is up where I am living in August, but I may leave sooner if everything falls into place.

The afternoon was warm and bright. We took my babe and a couple of the dogs for a walk up the long gravel driveway to the creek. We talked about cleaning up the outside bird cages, getting some chicks, and maybe even a goat. People often use the saying, "When one door closes, another opens," but sometimes it goes the other way around too, which is less optimistic, but true nonetheless.

I headed off to work. Shortly after my Mom left the house to visit our Grandma, her husband answered the door to my Mom's brother. My Mom and Uncle have not seen each other in almost ten years. Once off work, my Mom and I went to see him. I cannot imagine how my mom was feeling, but I wasn't short of feelings myself. Not only is this man my Uncle, but he was also one of my Dad's best friends. Since I have no contact with my Dad's side of my family, he is one of my closest links. I crave a connection to my Dad who I lost just after I turned 13 years old.

There is little I can write that will give any justice to the emotionally charged evening we shared. I cannot even bring myself to proof read this right now, so please excuse any grammatical messes I may have made.

No comments:

Post a Comment