Wednesday, March 25, 2009

How To No 'Poo: Day 2


So today is my second day of no 'poo-ing. Don't worry, this isn't a matter of fiber, but actually the decision to cut out shampoo! I will chronicle my journey of my no 'poo adventure, but thought maybe some of you would like some more info in case you are:
  1. Curious
  2. Grossed out and wondering WHY?
  3. Interested in trying it yourself

First I will give you some reasons why one might consider the no 'poo route.
  1. Dry hair
  2. Oily hair
  3. Frizzy hair
  4. Less Plastic
  5. A general hair rebellion
  6. To try something different
  7. All the gross shampoo ingredients
  8. So you can say, "I don't 'poo," and see people's reactions
  9. Shampoo strips away hairs natural oil sebum which can result in dry hair or an overproduction of Sebum resulting in oily hair
Supposedly, if you cut out 'poo-ing all together then after a while your scalp with figure out how much sebum it should be producing. This should result in your hair being coated in just the right amount equalling awesome hair days from there on out. The catch? Appearently there is a rough patch for some people, but if you can push on through then amazing, low maintenance hair is promised in your horizon.

Getting Started:
First, you can start weaning yourself from 'poo or you can just skip right to the baking soda and apple cider vinegar. Also, in order to encourage the sebum to travel down your hair shaft a wash cloth (to smooth from scalp to root) or natural bristle brush is recommended.

I started weaning myself from 'poo maybe a month or so ago. I started only using it about once or twice a week. Then, yesterday I finally broke out the baking soda and apple cider vinegar. To begin you mix 1 tablespoon of baking soda with water to create a paste. You massage this paste gently into your scalp and roots then let it be for about a minute. After rinsing well do a rinse of apple cider vinegar. I mixed 2 tablespoons of organic apple cider vinegar with some water and poured it into the ends of my hair, letting that sit for a minute as well before rinsing it all out with water. I plan on only using the baking soda and apple cider vinegar bit again when my hair seems to really need it. Also, I think it is important to note that my hair does not smell one bit like vinegar like I thought it might!

Well day 2 of no 'poo has begun and so far so good! Stay tuned for more of my no 'poo adventure!


2 comments:

  1. I hit this journey one time by accident. I really wanted to grow my hair out long and found out the only way to do it is to wash it less often. I now only wash once a week and my hair is great. But, it does take a while for your scalp's ph to adjust. I just got the apple cider vinegar yesterday so I can swap that out with regular shampoo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apple cider vinegar is amazing and has so many uses!

    ReplyDelete